Place:


St Kew  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Kew like this:

KEW (ST.), a village and a parish in Bodmin district, Cornwall. The village stands on the river Amble, 4½ miles NNE of Wadebridge, and 11 NW by N of Bodmin Road r. station; bears the name of St. Kew Churchtown; and has a fair on 3 April. The parish comprises 7, 514 acres. Post town, Wadebridge, Cornwall. ...


Real property, £8, 192. Pop. in 1851, 1, 337; in 1861, 1, 182. Houses, 255. The decrease of pop. arose from discontinuance of mining operations, and from emigration. The property is subdivided. The manor was known at Domesday as Languit. Trewane was the seat of the Nichollses, and is now a farm house. There are several barrows and beacons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £520.* Patron, Mrs. Every. The church is ancient, in fair condition; has old painted glass, illustrative of the lives of Christ and Jesse; and contains monuments of the Webbers. There are Methodist chapels, and charities £26.

St Kew through time

St Kew is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about St Kew itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Kew in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3881

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " St Kew ".