Place:


Mawnan  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mawnan like this:

MAWNAN, a village and a parish in Falmouth district, Cornwall. The village stands 4 miles SSW of Falmouth town and r. station; and has a post office under Falmouth. The parish comprises 2,058 acres of land, and 200 of water. Real property, £2,329. Pop., 572. Houses, 115. The property is subdivided. ...


Penwarne and Trerose are chief residences; and the latter was formerly the seat of the Killigrews, the Slannings, the Kempes, and others. The rocks include slate, granite, porphyry, and iron and copper ores. An ancient circular camp is at Carlidnack. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £323.*Patron, J. J. Rogers, Esq. The church is ancient, in fair condition; and has a tower, which serves as a landmark to mariners. A chapel of ease, with a cemetery, was formerly at Penwarne. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and an endowed national school.

Mawnan through time

Mawnan is now part of Kerrier district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kerrier has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mawnan itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mawnan, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3867

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mawnan ".