Place:


Cemais  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cemais like this:

CEMMAES, or Cemmes, a village and a parish in Machynlleth district, Montgomery. The village stands in Gwernybwlch township, on the river Dyfi and the Mawddwy railway, 8 miles NE of Machynlleth; and has a post office under Shrewsbury, and a r. station. The parish consists of the townships of Gwernybwlch and Brynuchel-Tafalog. ...


Acres, 9,247. Rated property, £2,805. Pop., 872. Houses, 187. The property is divided among a few. Some remains exist of an ancient circle for games. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £288.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church is good; and there is an Independent chapel.

Cemais through time

Cemais is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cemais itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cemais, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3841

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cemais ".