Place:


Sawston  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sawston like this:

SAWSTON, a village and a parish in Linton district, Cambridgeshire The village stands near the river Cam, 1 mile N N E of Whittlesford r. station, and 7 S S E of Cambridge; was once a market town; and has a post-office‡ under Cambridge. The parish comprises 1,856acres. Real property, £4, 428. ...


Pop. in 1851, 1, 124; in 1861, 1, 363. Houses, 270. The increase of pop. arosefrom the establishment of a paper-mill and parchment-factory. S. Hall is the seat of F. Huddlestone, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £170. Patrons, J. Gosling and F. Huddlestone, Esq. The church is good. There are an Independent chapel, a private Roman Catholic chapel, alms-houses for 8 persons, and other charities £108.

Sawston through time

Sawston is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sawston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sawston in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3823

Date accessed: 13th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sawston ".