Place:


Impington  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Impington like this:

IMPINGTON, a village and a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands 1 mile ESE of Histon r. station, and 2 ½ N of Cambridge; and was once a market town. The parish comprises 1, 200 acres. Real property, £2, 759. Pop. in 1851, 273; in 1861, 335. Houses, 75. ...


The property is much subdivided. A handsome mansion here belonged to the Pepys family; is frequently mentioned in Pepys' diary; and passed, not long ago, to the family of Coffin. A woman of this parish was enveloped in a snow drift in 1799, remained in it nearly eight days and nights, and was taken out alive; and a monument, recording the event, now stands on the spot. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £128. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; and has a brass of the Burgoynes of 1500. There are a national school, and charities £6.

Impington through time

Impington is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Impington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Impington in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3808

Date accessed: 17th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Impington ".