Place:


Horseheath  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horseheath like this:

HORSEHEATH, a village and a parish in Linton district, Cambridge. The village stands near the boundaries with Essex and Suffolk, and near the Bartlow station of the Cambridge and Haverhill railway, 3 ½ miles E by N of Linton.—The parish includes also the hamlet of Horseheath-Green. ...


Post town, Linton, under Cambridge. Acres, 1,849. Real property, £3, 068. Pop., 497. Houses, 112. The manor, with Horseheath Lodge, belongs to S. R. Batson, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, the Charterhouse, London. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with N and S porches, and a tower; and contains a very ancient brass, supposed to be that of Sir Philip de Argentine. Charities, £16.

Horseheath through time

Horseheath is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Horseheath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horseheath in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3807

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Horseheath ".