Place:


Westward  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Westward like this:

WESTWARD, a village and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The village stands 3½ miles SSE of Wigton r. station, and is large. The parish contains four townships, and comprises 13,120 acres. Post town, Wigton. Real property, £11,779; of which £115 are in quarries. Pop. ...


in 1851, 1,283; in 1861, 1,136. Houses, 219. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Gen. Wyndham. Old Carlisle and the Roman Olenacum were here; and an ancient hermitage stood at Islekirk Hall. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £120.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter ofThe old church is in Stoneraise; and a new church was built in 1840. Charities, £10.

Westward through time

Westward is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Westward itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Westward, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3798

Date accessed: 17th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Westward ".