Place:


Torpenhow  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Torpenhow like this:

TORPENHOW, a village and a township in Wigton district, and a parish partly also in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The village stands 2¾ miles W by N of Ireby, and 3½ SSE of Brayton r. station; and has a post-office under Carlisle. The township includes Whitrigg hamlet. Real property, without that hamlet, £2,146. ...


Pop. with W., 344. Houses, 67. The parish contains three other townships, and comprises 9,670 acres. Pop., 1,083. Houses, 221. The manor belongs to W. J. Charlton, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £283.* Patron, the Bishop ofThe church includes Norman remains, and is tolerable. There are an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £15.

Torpenhow through time

Torpenhow is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Torpenhow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Torpenhow, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3795

Date accessed: 16th January 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Torpenhow ".