Place:


Stanwix  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanwix like this:

STANWIX, a village, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Carlisle district, Cumberland. The village is suburban to Carlisle; stands on the Roman wall and on the river Eden, close to the bridge communicating with Carlisle; occupies the site of the Roman station Congavata; and has a post-office under Carlisle. ...


The township comprises 425 acres. Real property, £4,998. Pop., 935. Houses, 226. The parish contains 7 other townships, and comprises 6,158 acres. Pop., 2,356. Houses, 514. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop ofThe church was rebuilt in 1841; and was partly destroyed by fire, but restored in 1843. The rectory of Houghton is a separate benefice. There are a reformatory school, a national school, and charities £7.—The sub-district includes two other parishes, and comprises 13,840 acres. Pop., 3,801. Houses, 812.

Stanwix through time

Stanwix is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanwix itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanwix, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3793

Date accessed: 21st November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanwix ".