Place:


Skelton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skelton like this:

SKELTON, a township and a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland. The township lies 3½ miles NN W of Blencow r. station, and 6½ NW of Penrith; and has a post-office under Penrith. Real property, £1,927. Pop., 282. Houses, 64. The parish contains also two other townships, and comprises 6,326 acres. ...


Pop., 719. Houses, 152. The manor belongs to Sir H. R. Vane. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £294.* Patron, Corpus Christi College, Oxford. The church was restored in 1794. There are an endowed school with £32 a year, and charities £7.

Skelton through time

Skelton is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skelton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skelton, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3792

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skelton ".