Place:


Seaton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seaton like this:

SEATON, a township in Cammerton parish, Cumberland; on the river Derwent, 2 miles N N E of Workington. It has a post-office under Workington, and a three-arched bridge. Acres, 2, 939; of which 847 are water. Real property, £7, 322; of which £3,000 are in mines, £350 in iron-works, and £45 in fisheries. Pop. in 1851, 835; in 1861, 1, 102. Houses, 236. There are tin-plate works, hematite iron-works, and several collieries.

Seaton through time

Seaton is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seaton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seaton, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3791

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seaton ".