In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bury like this:
Bury.-- parl. and mun. bor., par., and township, SE. Lancashire, 11 miles NW. of Manchester and 195 NW. of London by rail -- par., 25,916 ac. (265 water), pop. 90,494; township, 2330 ac., pop. 39,283; parliamentary bor., pop. 53,240; mun. bor., 3390 ac., pop. 52,213; 4 Banks, 3 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday. B. is situated on an eminence between the Irwell and the Roche, and is a clean, well-built town. The staple industry is the cotton mfr.; but there are also extensive works for bleaching, calico-printing, dyeing, engine-making, and the making of machinery; there is still some woollen mfr.; and in the district are coal pits and stone quarries. Sir Robert Peel (1788-1850) was born at the adjoining seat of Chamber Hall. B. is connected by canal with Manchester and Bolton. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliamen.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bury in Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th September 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bury".