Place:


Moresby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Moresby like this:

MORESBY, a village, a township, and a parish, in Whitehaven district, Cumberland. The village stands on the coast, near Parton r. station, 2 miles NNE of Whitehaven; occupies the site of the Roman station Arbeia; and has yielded a number of Roman relics, including structures and inscriptions. The township includes the village, and extends into the country. ...


Real property, £3,246. Pop. in 1851,533; in 1861,463. Houses, 101. The parish contains also the township of Parton, which has a post office under Whitehaven. Acres, 2,187; of which 52 are water. Real property, £4,346. Pop. in 1851,1, 311; in 1861,1,222. Houses, 268. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. Moresby Hall is a mansion after a design by Inigo Jones. There is an iron foundry. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £105. Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church stands on an eminence, within an ancient camp 330 feet square; and is a modern edifice, with a tower. There is an endowed school, with £42 a year.

Moresby through time

Moresby is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Moresby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Moresby, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3778

Date accessed: 27th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Moresby ".