Place:


Balsham  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Balsham like this:

BALSHAM, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Linton, Cambridge. The village stands near Worsted Street, 3¼ miles S of Six-Mile-Bottom r. station, and 4 NE by N of Linton; and has a post office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 4,402 acres; and includes part of the Gogmagog hills. ...


Real property, £5,854. Pop., 1,162. Houses, 266. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £1,104.* Patrons, the Governors of the Charterhouse, London. The church is handsome, and has a tower. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £49. Hugh de Bottesham, founder of Peter house College, Cambridge, was a native. See Gogmagog Hills.-The subdistrict contains six parishes. Acres, 17,772. Pop., 3,925. Houses, 866.

Balsham through time

Balsham is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Balsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Balsham in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3762

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Balsham ".