Place:


Eastbourne  Sussex

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Eastbourne like this:

Eastbourne, watering-place, mun. bor., hundred, and par., E. Sussex, on the English Channel, 3 miles E. of Beachy Head and 66 SE. of London hy rail -- hundred and par., 4755 ac., pop. 21,595; mun. bor., 7597 ac., pop. 22,014; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 6 newspapers. Eastbourne originally consisted of the three hamlets of East Bourne, South Bourne, and Sea Houses. ...


It is a rapidly growing place. In 1871 its population was only 10,361. Its principal features are the grand parade, 2½ miles long; tlne pier (1868), 1000 ft. in length; the carriage-drive along the cliff; the Devonshire park (12 ac.); the Devonshire baths; the pavilion, with its concert and floral halls, its reading rooms, &c.; and the Princess Alice Memorial Hospital (1883). Eastbourne was made a municipal borough in 1883. Many Roman antiquities have been found.

Eastbourne through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Eastbourne has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Eastbourne go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eastbourne in Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/376

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eastbourne ".