Place:


Castle Sowerby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castle Sowerby like this:

CASTLE-SOWERBY, a parish in Penrith district, Cumberland; in Inglewood forest, under Carrock fell, 3 miles SE by E of Hesket-Newmarket, and 7 W of Plumpton r. station. It contains the townships of BustabeckBound, How-Bound, Row-Bound, Southernby-Bound, and Stockdalewath-Bound; and its Post Town is HesketNewmarket, under Wigton. ...


Acres, 7,940. Real property, £5,112. Pop., 906. Houses, 194. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. An ancient fortress stood near the church; and an old circular fort is at How-hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £90.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is tolerable. The p. curacy of Raughton-Head is a separate benefice.

Castle Sowerby through time

Castle Sowerby is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Castle Sowerby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castle Sowerby, in Eden and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3759

Date accessed: 23rd April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Castle Sowerby ".