Place:


Bromfield  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bromfield like this:

BROMFIELD, a township and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The township lies on an affluent of the river Waver, 2½ miles NW of Leegate r. station, and 6 W by S of Wigton. It includes the hamlets of Crookdale and Scales. Real property, £3,164. Pop., 411. Houses, 66. The parish contains also the townships of Blencogo, Langrigg and Mealrigg, Dundraw and Kelsick, and West Newton and Allonby; and has post offices of Langrigg under Carlisle and Allonby under Maryport. ...


Acres, 14,644; of which 573 are water. Real property, £16,166. Pop., 2,269. Houses, 482. The property is much subdivided. The surface extends 9½ miles south-westward to the coast; and borrows character from the near perspective of the Caldbeck and Skiddaw mountains. Some remains exist of Mungo Castle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £270.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church was restored in 1862. The chapelries of Allonby and West Newton are separate benefices. A grammar school, founded in 1612, has an endowed income of £41. Boucher, the antiquarian, was a native.

Bromfield through time

Bromfield is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bromfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bromfield, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3758

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bromfield ".