Place:


Bowness  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bowness like this:

BOWNESS, a village, a township, and a parish in Wigton district, Cumberland. The village stands on the Solway frith, adjacent to the Port-Carlisle terminus of the Carlisle and Silloth railway, 11 ½ miles WNW of Carlisle; and has a post office under Carlisle. Its site was occupied by the Roman station Tunnocelum, at the western termination of Severns' wall; many of the houses are believed to have been built of materials of the wall and the station; some vestiges of the wall can still be traced; and a Roman road went hence to Maryport. ...


The township includes also Port-Carlisle. Real property, £3,146. Pop., 484. Houses, 107. The parish contains also the townships of Fingland, Drumburgh, and Anthorn. Acres, 17,947; of which 8,653 are water. Real property, £9,705. Pop., 1,321. Houses, 284. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £393.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is tolerable. Charities, £24.

Bowness through time

Bowness is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bowness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bowness, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3757

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bowness ".