Place:


Bootle  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bootle like this:

BOOTLE, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district in Cumberland. The village stands on a rivulet, not far from the Whitehaven and Furness railway, about 1¾ mile from the shore, and 6½ S by E of Ravenglass; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Whitehaven. ...


It consists chiefly of a single street; yet possesses interest for tourists in some charming environs; and is a polling-place. A market was formerly held; and there are fairs on 5 April and 24 Sept. The parish comprises 6,652 acres of land and 494 of water. Real property, £4,746. Pop., 901. Houses, 160. The property is much subdivided. Part of the surface is Bootle Fell; and part is the northern skirt and ascent of the Black Combe mountain. Remains of a Roman camp are on Esk-Meals common; and vestiges of a Benedictine nunnery, founded by a daughter of Henry de Boyvill, fourth lord of Millom, are at Seaton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £460.* Patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The church is partly ancient, of early English date, with Saxon vestiges; underwent repair in 1837; has a pinnacled tower, 90 feet high, built in 1862; and contains an octagonal font of red sandstone, and a brass of Sir Hugh Askew, who was knighted at the battle of Pinkie. There are an Independent chapel, a free school, and a workhouse. -The subdistrict contains the parishes of Bootle, Corney, Whitheck, and Whicham, and part of the parish of Millom. Acres, 62,382. Pop., 3,598. Houses, 680. The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Muncaster, containing the parishes of Muncaster, Drigg, Irton, and Waberthwaite, and parts of the parishes of Millom, and St. Bees. Acres of the district, 100,066. Poor-rates in 1866, £2,419. Pop. in 1861, 5,880. Houses, 1,093. Marriages in 1866, 48; births, 214,-of which 21 were illegitimate; deaths, 131,-of which 35 were at ages under 5 years, and 5 at ages above 85 years. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 401; births, 1,739; deaths, 968. The places of worship in 1851 were 13 of the Church of England, with 3,179 sittings; 1 of Independents, with 200 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 100 s.; and 4 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 497 s. The schools were 16 public day schools, with 631 scholars; 8 private day schools, with 154 s.; and 12 Sunday schools, with 507 s.

Bootle through time

Bootle is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bootle itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bootle, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3756

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bootle ".