Place:


Wavendon  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wavendon like this:

WAVENDON, a village and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands 1 mile NNW of Woburn-Sands r. station, and 4 NE of Fenny-Stratford; and has a post-office under Woburn, and a police station. The parish includes Woburn-Sands hamlet, and comprises 2,665 acres. Real property, £4,871. ...


Pop., 879. Houses, 202. The property is much subdivided. W. House is the seat of H. A. Hoare, Esq. Fuller's earth is at W. Heath; and a Roman amphora was found there. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £800.* Patron, H. A. Hoare, Esq. The church was restored in 1849. The p. curacy of Woburn-Sands is a separate benefice. A Quakers' chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school, are at Woburn-Sands; and an endowed school and Charities £175 are at Wavendon.

Wavendon through time

Wavendon is now part of Milton Keynes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Milton Keynes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wavendon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wavendon, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3744

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wavendon ".