Place:


Allonby  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Allonby like this:

ALLONBY, a seaport village, a chapelry, and a township, in Bromfield parish, Cumberland. The village stands on a wide open bay of its own name opposite Rigg light-vessel, 2½ miles N of Bull Gill r. station, and 6 NNE of Maryport. It has a post office under Maryport; and it carries on a fishing trade, and is a summer resort for sea-bathing. ...


It was the birthplace of the distinguished hydrographer, Huddart, who died in 1816. The chapelry includes the village. Pop. in 1851, 749. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £94.* Patron, the Vicar of Bromfield. There are a Quaker's meeting-house and a slightly endowed school.-The township includes West Newton, and bears the name of West Newton and Allonby. Acres, 1,794; of Which 573 are water. Real property, £5,627,-of which £2,423 are in West Newton. Pop., 1,002. Houses, 252.

Allonby through time

Allonby is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Allonby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Allonby, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3741

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Allonby ".