Place:


Wybunbury  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wybunbury like this:

WYBUNBURY, a village, a township, a parish and a sub-district, in Nantwich district, Cheshire. The village stands 1¾ mile WSW of Basford r. station, and 3½ S of Crewe; and has a post-office under Nantwich. The township comprises 810 acres. Real property, £3,155. Pop., 567. Houses, 130. ...


The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.—The parish contains 16 other townships and a part; and comprises 18,414 acres. Pop. in 1851, 4,389; in 1861, 4,985. Houses, 1,008. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £350. Patron, the Bishop ofThe church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1833, at a cost of £6,000; and is in the early English style, and very spacious. The vicarage of Weston and the p. curacy of Doddington are separate benefices. There are eight Methodist chapels, several endowed schools with aggregately £182 a year, and charities £79.—The sub-district includes also two other parishes and two parts; and comprises 32,400 acres. Pop., 16,901. Houses, 3,218.

Wybunbury through time

Wybunbury is now part of Crewe and Nantwich district. Click here for graphs and data of how Crewe and Nantwich has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wybunbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wybunbury, in Crewe and Nantwich and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3739

Date accessed: 16th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wybunbury ".