Place:


Quainton  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Quainton like this:

QUAINTON, or Quinton, a village and a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks. The village stands 4¾ miles S S E of Claydon r. station, and 6½ N W of Aylesbury; islarge and widely scattered; was once a market town; is a seat of petty sessions; and has a post-office under Winslow. and an inn. ...


The parish contains also the hamlets of Doddershall, Dereham, and Shipton-Lee. Acres, 5, 368. Real property, £8, 980. Pop., 929. Houses, 227. The property is divided among a few. Doddershall Hall is the seat of G. Pigott, Esq. Quainton hill commands a good view. The rocks include gritstone and iron-sand, and are famous for their fossils. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £650.* Patron, the Rev. W. E. Richardson. The church is of Mixed architecture; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and N chapel, with W tower; and contains a figured screen, some good brasses, and several beautiful marble monuments. There are a Baptist chapel, a parochial school, alms-houses with £107 a year, and charities £105. Brett, a translator of the Bible, was rector.

Quainton through time

Quainton is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Quainton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Quainton, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3711

Date accessed: 21st July 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Quainton ".