In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Oving like this:
OVING, a village and a parish in Aylesbury district, Bucks. The village stands on an eminence, 4¾ miles S of Winslow r. station, and 5¾ N N W of Aylesbury; and is a scattered place. The parish comprises 971 acres. Post-town, Aylesbury. Real property, £2, 522. Pop., 436. Houses, 100. The property is much sub-divided. The right to the manor is disputed. Oving House is the seat of Lieut.-Col.Pratt; and occupies acommanding site, overlooking the vale of Aylesbury. The parish is a meet for Rothschild's hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £350.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly early English; is in good condition; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Oving has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Aylesbury Vale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Oving and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Oving, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Oving".