Place:


Llanfrynach  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfrynach like this:

LLANVRYNACH, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; on the river Usk and the Brecon canal, near the Via Julia montana, and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 3¼ miles SE of Brecon. Post town, Brecon. Acres, 7,127. Real property, £2,840. Pop., 352. Houses, 79. The seat of Brycan, prince of Brecknock, was here. ...


Tregaer was a seat of the Phillips. Maesderwen is the property of the De Wintons. Ty-Mawr belongs to William De Winton, Esq. Roman hypocansts, a conduit, coins, and other relics, were found, in 1775, at Maesderwen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £305.* Patrons, the Trustees of the late J. P. De Winton, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Brynach, and is ancient. Charities, £6. Aubrey, the antiquary, Principal Aubrey, and Jones the friend of Archbishop Land, were natives.

Llanfrynach through time

Llanfrynach is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfrynach itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfrynach, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3708

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfrynach ".