Place:


Shocklach  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shocklach like this:

SHOCKLACH, two townships in Wrexham district, and a parish partly also in Great Boughton district, and all in Cheshire. The townships are S.-Church and S.-Oviatt; and lie on the river Dee, 4½ miles NW of Malpas, and 7½ E of Wrexham r. station. Acres, 1,239 and 1,022. Real property, £1,478 and £1,914. ...


Pop., 180 and 168. Houses, 30 and 36. The manor belongs to Sir R. Puleston, Bart.—The parish contains also the township of Caldecott, and comprises 2,691 acres. Post town, Farndon, under Chester. Pop., 414. Houses, 77.manor belongs to T. T. Drake, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £107. Patron, Sir R. Puleston, Bart. The church is ancient but good. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.

Shocklach through time

Shocklach is now part of Chester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shocklach itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shocklach, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3702

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shocklach ".