Place:


Rainow  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rainow like this:

RAINOW, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Cheshire. The village stands 2¾ miles N E of Macclesfield r. station; and is much scattered. The chapelry contains also Harrop hamlet, is in Prestbury parish, and comprises 5, 750 acres. Post-town, Macclesfield. Real property, £7, 619; of which £86 are in quarries, and £60 in mines. ...


Pop., 1, 550. Houses, 331. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120.* Patron, the Vicar of Prestbury. The church isrecent; is in the pointed style; and consists of nave, three aisles, and transept, with pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £10.—The sub-district contains also two other townships of Prestbury parish, and all Taxal parish; and is in Macclesfield district. Acres, 15, 995. Pop., 3, 478. Houses, 730.

Rainow through time

Rainow is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rainow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rainow, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3694

Date accessed: 24th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rainow ".