Place:


Poynton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Poynton like this:

POYNTON, or Pointon, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Prestbury parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the Manchester and Macclesfield railway, 1¾mile W of the Macclesfield canal, and 4¾ S S E of Stock-port; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Stockport. ...


The township comprises 2, 490 acres. Real property, £12, 655; of which £8, 670 are in mines. Pop., 1, 284. Houses, 258. The manor and much of the land belong to Lord Vernon. Coal is extensivelymined. The chapelry includes also most of Worthtownship. Pop, 1, 977. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £85. Patron, Lord Vernon. The church was rebuilt in 1789. There is a national school.

Poynton through time

Poynton is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Poynton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poynton, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3691

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Poynton ".