Place:


Peckforton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Peckforton like this:

PECKFORTON, a township in Bunbury parish, Cheshire; 3¾ miles S S W of Tarporley. Acres, 1, 729. Real property, £2, 154. Pop., 221. Houses, 50. Peckforton Castle is the seat of John Tollemache, Esq.; was built in 1849-51, after designs by Salvin; is in the style of the time of Edward II.; contains a dining-room 55 feet long, a drawing-room 36 feet in diameter, and a hall 66 feet by 40; has a lofty round tower, figuring conspicuously in alandscape of many miles; and stands amid well-wooded grounds, and near the summit of Peckforton Hill, commanding a diversified and extensive view. ...


A chapel, accessible to the neighbouring inhabitants, is attached toit; and the entrance-lodge is used as a school.

Peckforton through time

Peckforton is now part of Crewe and Nantwich district. Click here for graphs and data of how Crewe and Nantwich has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Peckforton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Peckforton, in Crewe and Nantwich and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3687

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Peckforton ".