Place:


Hedsor  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hedsor like this:

HEDSOR, a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks; on the river Thames, at the boundary with Berks, near Marlow-Road r. station, 4 miles E by S of Great Marlow. Post town, Marlow. Acres, 526. Real property, £1, 943. Pop., 175. Houses, 43. The property is not mucli divided. The manor, with Hedsor Lodge, belongs to Lord Boston. ...


Hedsor Lodge was built.in 1778, by the first Lord Boston, on a plan recommended by George III.; is a plain brick edifice; and stands in a fine park, with beautiful views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £60. Patron, the Bishop of Oxford one turn, and Lord Boston two turns. The church is good, and contains monuments of the Hyndes and the Parkers; and the churchyard contains the grave of Hooke, the author of the "Roman History." Two grand old yew trees are near the church.

Hedsor through time

Hedsor is now part of Wycombe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wycombe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hedsor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hedsor, in Wycombe and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3683

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hedsor ".