Place:


Fingest  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fingest like this:

FINGEST, a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks; contiguous to Oxfordshire, 6½ miles W by S of Wycombe r. station. Post town, Ibstone, under Tetsworth. Acres, . 1, 304. Real property, £1, 515. Pop., 352. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. The manor was anciently called Thinghurst, and belonged to St. ...


Alban's abbey. The bishops of Lincoln had a palace here; and Bishop Burghersh was buried here. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Ibstone, in. the diocese of Oxford. Value, £336. Patron, alter-nately the Bishop of Oxford and Merton College, Oxford. The church has a Norman tower and a circular font; and is good. Charities, £23.

Fingest through time

Fingest is now part of Wycombe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wycombe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fingest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fingest, in Wycombe and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3676

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fingest ".