Place:


Burton upon Trent  Staffordshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Burton upon Trent like this:

Burton-upon-Trent, mun. bor. and par., in E. of Staffordshire, and extending into Derbyshire, on river Trent, 11 miles SW. of Derby, 30 NE. of Birmingham, and 122 miles NW. of London by rail -- par., 7730 ac., pop. 37,253; mun. bor., 4025 ac., pop. 39,288; 2 Banks, 4 newspapers. Market-day, Thursday; is an old town, formerly the seat of a Saxon abbey. ...


In 1801 the pop. of B. was not much over 6000. Its rapid growth dates from the opening of the Midland Ry. in 1839. Brewing of ale, the staple industry, commenced in 1708; but its great development has taken place only since 1828, and especially since 1862. The average brewing business done in the town, in one year, is calculated at #7,000,000. The principal firms are those of Bass and Allsopp. The town possesses a free grammar-school and two public libraries. The old bridge over the Trent, consisting of 36 arches, stood for about 700 years; the new bridge, of 29 arches, was opened for traffic in 1864.

Burton upon Trent through time

Burton upon Trent is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burton upon Trent itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burton upon Trent in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/367

Date accessed: 25th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burton upon Trent ".