Place:


Old Windsor  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Windsor like this:

WINDSOR (Old), a parish, with a village, in Windsor district, Berks; on the Thames, 2¼ miles SE by S of Windsor r. station. It has a post-office under Windsor. Acres, 5,401. Real property, £10,437. Pop., 1,835. Houses, 311. The manor belonged anciently to the Saxon kings, and belongs now to the Queen. ...


Moat Farm is said to have been a hunting-seat of the Saxon kings. Beaumont belonged to the late Lord Ashbrook, and was once occupied by Warren Hastings. Woodside, Park Place, Old Windsor Lodge, Kingsmead, Burfield Lodge, Pelling Place, Holly Grove, and the Priory also are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £270.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, and was restored in 1864. The chapel-royal, in Windsor Park, is a separate charge, under patronage of the Queen. Part of Sunningdale chapelry is within the parish. There are a national school and charities £25. See Windsor and Windsor Castle.

Old Windsor through time

Old Windsor is now part of Windsor and Maidenhead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Windsor and Maidenhead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Old Windsor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Windsor, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3652

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Old Windsor ".