In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishopston like this:
BISHOPSTON, or Llan-Deilo-Vernalt, a parish in Swansea district, Glamorgan; near Bishopston-Road r. station, and 6 miles SW by W of Swansea. It includes Killay village: and has a post office under Swansea. Acres, 2,387. Real property, £2,101. Pop., 418. Houses, 99. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Bishops of Llandaff. Interesting features of limestone rock occur in a wooded glen; and lead ore has been worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £248.* Patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church has an embattled tower, and is good. E. Davies, author of the "Celtic Researches," was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishopston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swansea. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishopston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishopston, in Swansea and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishopston".