Place:


Theale  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Theale like this:

THEALE, a chapelry and a hundred in Berks. The chapelry is in Tilehurst parish; lies on the Reading and Trowbridge railway and on the river Kennet, 5 miles W by S of Reading; contains a village, consisting of one street; and has a post-office‡ under Reading, and a r. station with telegraph. ...


The statistics are returned with Tilehurst. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £774. Patron, Magdalen College, Oxford. The church was built in 1842, and has a pinnacled tower. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.-The hundred contains 12 parishes and 2 parts. Acres, 23,913. Pop., 6,108. Houses, 1,221.

Theale through time

Theale is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Theale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Theale in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3644

Date accessed: 22nd March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Theale ".