In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanford in the Vale like this:
STANFORD-IN-THE-VALE, a village in Faringdon district, and a parish partly also in Wantage district, Berks. The village stands in the White Horse vale, 2¼ miles NNW of Challow r. station, and 4 ESE of Faringdon; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Faringdon. The parish includes Goosey chapelry, and comprises 3,829 acres. Real property, £9,201. Pop., 1,277. Houses, 261. The property is much subdivided. S. Place is the seat of G. B. Egston, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £337.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church was restored in 1851. There are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £9 a year, and charities £41.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanford in the Vale has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale of White Horse. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanford in the Vale and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanford in the Vale, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanford in the Vale".