Place:


Shottesbrooke  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shottesbrooke like this:

SHOTTESBROOK, a parish in Cookham district, Berks; 3¼ miles E by N of Twyford r. station, and 4¼ SW by W of Maidenhead. Post town, Maidenhead. Acres, 1,316. Real property, £2,134. Pop., 148. Houses, 23. The manor belonged, in the time of William Rufus, to Alward the goldsmith; and belongs now toVansittart, Esq. ...


A college for a warden and five priests, was founded here in 1337 by Sir W. Tressell. The living is a rectory, united with White Waltham, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £610.* Patron,Van-sittart, Esq. The church is decorated English and cruciform; was restored in 1852, and the spire rebuilt in 1867.

Shottesbrooke through time

Shottesbrooke is now part of Windsor and Maidenhead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Windsor and Maidenhead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shottesbrooke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shottesbrooke, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3642

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shottesbrooke ".