Place:


Radley  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Radley like this:

RADLEY, a village and a parish in Abingdon district, Berks. The village stands adjacent to the Oxford railway, near the river Thames, 1 mile N of Culham r.station, and 2½ N E of Abingdon; and has a post-office under Abingdon. The parish contains also the liberty of Thrupp and Wick, and part of the township of Kennington. ...


Acres, 2, 994. Real property, inclusive of therest of K., £5, 560. Pop. exc. of the rest of K., 484. Houses, 94. The manor belonged to Abingdon abbey, went, after the dissolution, to G. Stonehouse, Esq., passed, in 1792, to Capt. afterwards Admiral Bowyer; and, with R. Hall and most of the land, belongs now to Sir G. Bowyer, Bart. The living is a donative in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £75. Patron, Sir G. Bowyer, Bart. The church is later English, and contains an alabaster altar-tomb of Sir W. and Lady Stonehouse. St. Peter's college is a large Church of England-school for the upper classes; was founded in 1847; and includesdormitories and a beautiful chapel. There is also a village school.

Radley through time

Radley is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Radley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Radley, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3639

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Radley ".