Place:


Marthall  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marthall like this:

MARTHALL, a township in Rostherne parish, and a chapelry partly also in Knutsford parish, Cheshire. The township lies 1 mile WNW of Chelford r. station, and 3½ SE by E of Knntsford. Acres, 1,733. Real property, £2,500. Pop., 253. Houses, 44. The chapelry was constituted in 1840, and is called Marthall-cum-Little Warford. ...


Post town, Knutsford. Pop., 525. Houses, 100. Ollerton Hall was built in 1728, and is the seat of R. K. M 'Gildowny, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £60.* Patron, Lord Egerton. The church is a plain brick bnilding. There are an endowed school, and charities £4.

Marthall through time

Marthall is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marthall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marthall, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3635

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marthall ".