Place:


Harwell  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Harwell like this:

HARWELL, a village and a parish in Wantage district, Berks. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Didcot r. station, and 6 E by N of Wantage; and has a postoffice under Steventon, Berks. The parish comprises 2, 482 acres. Real property, £4, 940. Pop., 876. Houses, 202. The property is subdivided. ...


The manor belonged, in the 13th century, to Richard King. of the Romans; and belongs now to Sir John Chetwode, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £320. Patron, the Rev. S. M. Smith. The church is chiefly decorated English; is cruciform, with embattled tower; was recently in bad condition; and contains several monuments. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, alms Houses with £141, and other charities with £162.

Harwell through time

Harwell is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Harwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Harwell, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3611

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Harwell ".