Place:


Burnley Lancashire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Burnley like this:

Burnley, parl. and mun. bor., and township, at the confluence of the Burn and the Calder, Whalley par., NE. Lancashire, 21 miles E. of Preston, 27 N. of Manchester, and 201 NW. of London by rail -- township, 1996 ac., pop. 28,744; parl. bor., 3981 ac., pop. 63,638; mun. bor., 1731 ac., pop. 58,751; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-days, Monday and Saturday; has extensive cotton mills, some worsted mills, and several foundries. Coal, slate, freestone, and flagstone abound in the neighbourhood. B. has a grammar-school, founded in the time of Edward VI. The bor., created in 1867, returns 1 member to Parl.

Burnley through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burnley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Burnley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burnley and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burnley in Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/361

Date accessed: 23rd September 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burnley".