Place:


Kensworth  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kensworth like this:

KENSWORTH, a village and a parish in the district of Luton and county of Hertford. The village stands near the boundary with Beds, 3 miles SE of Dunstable r. station; and has a post office under Dunstable. The parish comprises 2, 280 acres. Real property, £3, 919. Pop. in 1851, 1, 033; in 1861, 925. ...


Houses, 194. The property is subdivided. Chalk hills form much of the surface; and one of them has an altitude of 904 feet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £180.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church is Norman, has an embattled tower, and was recently restored. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £18.

Kensworth through time

Kensworth is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kensworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kensworth, in South Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3609

Date accessed: 17th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kensworth ".