Place:


Cookham  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cookham like this:

COOKHAM, a village, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a hundred in Berks. The village stands on the river Thames, adjacent to the Maidenhead and Wycombe railway, 3 miles N of Maidenhead; has a post office‡ under Maidenhead, a station on the railway, an inn much resorted to by anglers, a wooden bridge across the Thames, a parish church, an endowed school, and an alms-house; was the meeting-place, between 996 and 1, 001, of a gemot, attended by many thanes from Wessex and Mercia; was once a market-town, and still has fairs on 16 May and 11 Oct. ...


The church is early English, with western tower of flint; was restored in 1860; and contains several good brasses, a canopied altar-tomb of 1517, and a fine marble monument by Flaxman to Sir Isaac Bocock. The parish contains also Cookham-Dean village and part of Maidenhead borough. Acres, 6, 509. Real property, £25, 374. Pop., 4, 468. Houses, 832. The property is much subdivided. A skirmish was fought, in the civil wars, at Battle-Mead. A number of Roman swords and javelin-heads was found, in 1830, at Sashes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £480.* Patron, J. Rogers, Esq. The chapelries of Cookham-Dean and Maidenhead are separate benefices. There is a Wesleyan chapel.—The sub-district contains the parishes of Cookham, Bisham, and Hurley. Acres, 13, 126. Pop., 6, 317. Houses, 1, 202. The district comprehends also the sub-district of Bray, containing the parishes of Bray, Shottesbrook, Waltham-St. Lawrence, and White-Waltham. Acres, 29, 588. Poor-rates in 1862, £6, 319. Pop. in 1841, 11, 058; in 1861, 13, 031. Houses, 2, 522. Marriages in 1860, 82; births, 396, - of which 19 were illegitimate; deaths, 219,-of which 61 were at ages under 5 years, and 9 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 797; births, 3, 961; deaths, 2, 259. The places of worship in 1851 were 12 of the Church of England, with 5, 995 sittings; 5 of Independents, with 809 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 120 s.; 6 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 761 s.; 5 of Primitive Methodists, with 306 s.; 2 of Lady Huntingdon's Connexion, with 400 s.; and 1 undefined, with 16 attendants. The schools were 15 public day schools, with 1, 324 scholars; 26 private day schools, with 443 s.; and 24 Sunday schools, with 2, 322 s. -The hundred contains only four parishes. Acres, 9, 716. Pop., 3, 809. Houses, 735.

Cookham through time

Cookham is now part of Windsor and Maidenhead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Windsor and Maidenhead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cookham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cookham, in Windsor and Maidenhead and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3596

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cookham ".