Place:


Sutton  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton like this:

SUTTON, a parish, with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds: 1½ mile S of Potton r. station. Post town, Potton, under St. Neots. Acres, 2,230. Real property, £3,391. Pop., 438. Houses, 70. The manor belonged to John of Gaunt; was given by him, along with Potton, in a rhyming conveyance, to Sir Roger Burgoyne; and, with S. ...


Park, belongs now to Lieut, Col. Sir J. M. Burgoyne, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £362.* Patron, St. John's college, Oxford. The church is good; and there are a free school, and charities £30. Stilling fleet was rector.

Sutton through time

Sutton is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3577

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton ".