Place:


Stanbridge  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanbridge like this:

STANBRIDGE, a chapelry in Leighton-Buzzard parish, Beds; 1 mile NNW of Stanbridgeford r. station, and 3 ESE of Leighton-Buzzard. Post town, Leighton-Buzzard. Acres, 1,400. Real property, £2,853. Pop., 554. Houses, 122. Many of the inhabitants are employed in straw-plait working. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Leighton-Buzzard. The church is good; and there are two Wesleyan chapels, and charities £5.

Stanbridge through time

Stanbridge is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanbridge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanbridge in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3571

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanbridge ".