Place:


Maulden  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Maulden like this:

MAULDEN, a village and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The village stands 1½ mile E by S of Ampthill, 3 from the Ampthill station on the Midland railway, opened in 1868, and 4½ E by S of Ampthill Northwestern r. station; is a considerable place; and carries on some manufacture in straw-plait and lace. ...


The parish comprises 2,574 acres; and its Post town is Ampthill. Real property, £4,513. Pop. in 1851,1,457; in 1861,1,563. Houses, 323. The manor belonged once to the poet Pomfret, and belongs now to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £438.* Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church was rebuilt, on an enlarged scale, in 1859; is in the decorated English style; retains the old tower, in well-restored condition; and comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with S porch. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £57.

Maulden through time

Maulden is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Maulden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Maulden in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3566

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Maulden ".