Place:


Eaton Bray  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eaton Bray like this:

EATON-BRAY, a parish in Leighton-Buzzard district, Beds; on the verge of the county, near Stanbridgeford r. station, 3¾ miles W by S of Dunstable. It has a post office under Dunstable; and it gives the title of Baron Braye to the family of Cave Otway. Acres, 2, 650. Real property, £5, 191. ...


Pop., 1, 440. Houses, 308. The property is subdivided. Part of the land is common. A castle stood here before the early part of the 13th century. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £189.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is early English. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school.

Eaton Bray through time

Eaton Bray is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eaton Bray itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eaton Bray in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3556

Date accessed: 16th February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eaton Bray ".