Place:


Llanfihangel Iorath  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfihangel Iorath like this:

LLANFIHANGEL-AR-ARTH, a village and a parish in the district of Newcastle-in-Emlyn and county of Carmarthen. The village stands on the river Teifi, at the boundary with Cardigan, near Pen cader r. sta tion, 12 miles E of Newcastle-Emlyn; and has a bridge, and fairs on 12 May and 10 Oct. The parish contains also the hamlets of Blaenan, Cwmarles, Gwyddil, Gwyddgrug, Pencader and Vro; and its Post town is Carmarthen. ...


Acres, 15,993. Real property, £6,507. Pop. in 1851, l, 886; in 1861,1,795. Houses, 419. Hywel was defeated here in 1039, by Grufydd ab Llewelyn; and Henry II. received here, in 1162, the submission of Rhys ab Grufydd. There are some barrows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £150. Patron, T. Elliott, Esq., alternately with W. P. Lewis, and W. O. Brigstoke, Esqs. The church stands on a site with a fine view; and the churchyard contains a monument to !Ulcacinus filius Senomacili.",

Llanfihangel Iorath through time

Llanfihangel Iorath is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfihangel Iorath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfihangel Iorath in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3550

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfihangel Iorath ".