Place:


Carlton  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton like this:

CARLTON, a parish in the district and county of Bedford; on the verge of the county, near the river Ouse, 4½ miles NE of Olney, and 5½ SW by W of Sharnbrook r. station. It has a post office under Bedford. Acres, 1,530. Real property, £2,174. Pop., 470. Houses, 109. Carlton Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Chellington, in the diocese of Ely. Value, £370. Patron, Lord Dynevor. There is a Baptist chapel.

Carlton through time

Carlton is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3548

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton ".