Place:


Llanzhangel Yng Ngwynfa  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanzhangel Yng Ngwynfa like this:

LLANFIHANGEL, or LLANFIHANGEL-YN-GWYMNFA, a parish in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery; on the Caer Sws Roman way, 5 miles SW by W of Llanfyllin r. station. It contains a village of its own name; is cut into two divisions, lower and upper; and includes the townships of Cefncleisiog, Cydwnfa, Dolwar, Fachwen, Farchwell, Fynnonarthwr, Garthucha, Halfen, Llaethbwlch, Llwydiarth, Nanty-Candy, and Rhiewlas. ...


Posttown, Llanfyllin, under Oswestry. Acres, 10,005. Real property, £5,002. Pop., 950. Houses, 171. The sur.face is hilly, and much of the land is enclosed. The parish was formerly part of Gwynfa, within the principality of Powysland. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of St. Assph. Value, £401. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The p. curacy of Pont Dolanog is a separate benefice. There are an endowed school, with £18 a year, an apprenticing charity of £10 a year, and other charities £8.

Llanzhangel Yng Ngwynfa through time

Llanzhangel Yng Ngwynfa is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanzhangel Yng Ngwynfa itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanzhangel Yng Ngwynfa, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3543

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanzhangel Yng Ngwynfa ".